All students are valued and encouraged to achieve to the best of their ability.
Learning Support at Barnhill covers a wide area. The following groups are offered support in their studies
- Students with a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN)
- Students with special needs who are not on the SEN register but who need support in some of their lessons, especially with their literacy
- Students with emotional and/or behavioural difficulties which hinder learning
- Students whose first language is not English, and who need support in learning English
- Students with physical disabilities
- Some students who have not coped well in the transition from Primary to Secondary school, and need help in settling in to school
How do we support these students?
Provision to meet the variety of special needs in the school is made through:
- Differentiation by the teacher within lessons
- intensive reading programmes
- Withdrawal from lessons, or in-class support, for students whose first language is not English.
- One-to-One tuition
- The opportunity for more able students to take part in extension classes and activities, including provision out of school
- Pastoral Support Officers and Learning Mentors who give students individual attention to help them improve and overcome any barriers to their learning
The programmes for all students with additional needs are carefully planned, and as Ofsted commented “Inclusion plans and procedures are excellent, enabling true equality of opportunity for all students”.