Dance at Barnhill provides students with the chance to express themselves and grow their creativity, teamwork and confidence, in order to develop well-rounded individuals able to apply the skills learnt to ANY subject or CAREER they pursue.
“The body says what the word cannot”
Key Stage 3
Students gain an introduction to Dance through a Dance unit in their PE lessons where they are introduced to action, space, dynamics and relationships through an exciting ‘Chance’ scheme of work. Students also have the opportunity to access Dance through the Wednesday Enrichment programme as well as through extra-curricular clubs.
Students study Dance for one hour per week. Throughout the year students experience a range of dance styles and learn and create dances of many different themes/styles including: Parkour/Free running, Street Dance, Gladiators and Cog.
Key Stage 4
Students can study Dance further at KS4 through BTEC Performing Arts Dance or GCSE Dance.
Unit 1: Individual Showcase
- Letter of application.
- Create and perform two solos on a given theme in a dance style of your choice.
Unit 2: Preparation, Performance and Production
- Work in a group to create a dance piece on the work of the British Red Cross.
Unit 4: Dance Skills
Pearson - Performing Arts
- This unit is about learning to become a versatile dancer. Learn dances in two contrasting dance styles and perform them to an audience.
Unit 1: Critical Appreciation
Unit 2: Set Dance
- Learn and perform a solo dance.
Unit 3: Performance in a Duo/Group
- Learn and develop and perform a group dance of 3-3 ½ mins.
Unit 4: Choreography
- Create a solo dance.
- Create and teach a group dance from a chosen stimulus/theme.
AQA - Dance
Key Stage 5
In the sixth form students can study A Level Dance:
- Gain experience of performance and choreography through practice.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of specific study areas and professional works.
- Develop understanding and knowledge of how to critically analyse performance and choreography of both your own and professional dance pieces.
Students also have the opportunity to gain a Level 1 Dance Leaders Award through their Enrichment lessons (Year 12).
As a Performing Arts department we aim to provide students with as many opportunities as possible to watch live performances and perform outside of the school environment. Therefore as a Dance department we offer many extra-curricular activities throughout the year. Examples of these include Rock Challenge (a Dance and Drama competition in Stevenage), Dance: Make Your Move (a Dance competition run by the British Red Cross), a primary Dance Festival, a Secondary Dance Festival and the opportunity to perform in the many Performing Arts Showcases run every half term.
It is compulsory for Dance students (at KS3 and 4) to wear the Barnhill PE kit.